In February & August of every year, the Domestic Hunger Committee of Salem Presbytery accepts applications from agencies (sponsored by local PCUSA congregations) located within our 19 counties. For about one month during each grant cycle, committee members make site visits determining need and ensuring that various criteria are met. Agencies can receive funding once per grant year.
For Fall 2014, a total of $29500 was distributed to 14 different agencies or feeding programs. Sponsoring congregations are listed in parentheses. If available, web presence for each is hotlinked.
Grants in the following amounts are awarded to:
1. $2000 to Caswell Parish (Bethesda)
2. $3000 to Crisis Control Ministry, Inc. (Trinity)
3. $2000 to Crisis Ministry of Davidson County (Lexington, 1st)
4. $2000 to Diakonos, Inc. (Concord of Statesville)
5. $2000 to Hunger & Health Coalition (Boone, 1st)
6. $2000 to Meals on Wheels of Rowan, Inc. (John Calvin)
7. $2000 to The Pastor’s Pantry (Lexington, 1st)
8. $2000 to Pleasant Grove Elem. Backpack Program (Cross Roads)
9. $2000 to Reidsville Outreach Center (Reidsville, 1st)
10. $2500 to Samaritan Kitchen of Wilkes, Inc. (North Wilkesboro)
11. $2000 to The Servant Center Food Pantry (Stony Creek)
12. $2000 to StepUp Greensboro, Hot Dish & Hope (Greensboro, 1st)
13. $2000 to Take & Eat Food Pantry (Chapel in the Pines)
14. $2000 to Thomasville Comm. Ministry, Inc. (Thomasville, 1st)
Once the International Hunger Committee meets on 10/28/14 the document below will be UPDATED to include recent disbursement amounts for BOTH COMMITTEES in a bulletin-ready format.
I am stoked to start weekly posts featuring various aspects of my ministry/mission in Salem Presbytery. Your interaction is welcome!
Each Thursday of the month, posts on Enough for Everyone will shuffle through the following categories:
1st - MUSIC on a Mission
• service-ready encouragement for action, activism, advocacy
2nd - SPOTLIGHT on Domestic Hunger Committee
• snapshots of Pennies for Hunger grant recipients here at home
3rd - SEND Ministry Area highlight
• stories of & opportunities for mission/outreach/service
4th - PCUSA focus on mission/outreach/peace/justice
• connections with our denomination
5th - SPOTLIGHT on International Hunger Committee
• 1/4ly updates from our grant recipients around the world
Many thanks for reading! I'm gonna make sure this is informative, engaging, and fun!
Rev. Bryan McFarland
Interim Associate for East Neighborhood, SEND Ministry Area and Hunger Action Advocate
Office - 336.766.3393 X135
Cell - 336.327.2041
Email - bmcfarland AT salempresbytery DOT org
Rev. Bryan F. MCFArland
Award-winning songwriter, hunger activist, retreat leader, and craft brew enthusiast, Bryan lives in Greensboro with his wife and their pets.